Spring is here, and with it comes all things new. With that in mind, I thought it might be worth trialling a new style of post – a quick one which focuses on alerting DFI-ers to events that are coming up focused on fertility.
So, here’s a few coming up in the next two weeks which may be of interest to you:
YDDP: The YDDP is hosting a session on rearing heifers from 10:30am-12:30pm on Tuesday September 8 at Echo-Glen, 1976 Princess Hwy, Trafalgar. Speakers Greg Morris, DEDJTR, and Eric Johnson, contract heifer rearer, will discuss:
- Heifer target weights specific to breed
- How to achieve target weights
- Nutritional requirements at different ages
- Factors affecting heifer fertility
- Feed conversion efficiencies
- Practices found to improve heifer performance.
The event will finish with a BBQ lunch. Please RSVP by Monday September 7.
INCALF: DairySA Service Provider Simon Edwards will share his expertise in optimising fertility on dairy farms from 10.30am-2.30pm on Wednesday September 2 at Meningie Football Club, Mannum Rd, Meningie. Topics for discussion include:
- Williams’ Fertility Focus Report
- Developing a Fertility Focus Report
- Why good reproductive performance is important
- Assessing reproductive performance
- Setting fertility goals ‐ what is achievable and is it profit?
Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP.
BUILDING THE HERD/GET INTO DAIRY: DairyTas is presenting combined Building the Dairy Herd and Get Into Dairy Information Sessions across Tasmania and covering:
- Building the Herd: benefits and costs of rearing more young stock; heifer management; breeding to build the herd; use of sexed semen; selling to China – the real cost
- Into Dairy Project: objectives and initiatives; major activities, delivered and planned; where to after Into Dairy
The events run from 6pm and commence with a light supper (Please RSVP) in:
- Scottsdale at Kendal’s Hotel on September 14
- Deloraine at Deloraine Hotel on September 15
- Smithton at the Recreation Centre on September 16
New South Wales
FIELD DAY: Calf and heifer rearing field day will be held on Wednesday September 9 from 10am-1pm at Daniel and Bec Cochrane’s ‘Wogamia’ Dairy Farm, 154 Wogamia Rd, Longreach. Speakers include: Dr Gemma Chuck, from The Vet Group, Timboon and Dr Andrew Havadja and Vicki Timbs.
The day will finish with a free BBQ lunch. RSVP essential by September 4.
Have I missed anything? Or have you attended one of these events and can share with the rest of us how they went? Let me know in the comments below.